Monday, September 28, 2009

Victorian Poster































This is my final version of the Victorian era poster.
I brought the boarder towards the center and made the corset larger, so it was so tight it was bursting out of the frame. I changed the text to a more flesh colored pink and placed the information text in the same fleshy color to act as the lace. This is also to hint at the corset bursting at the seems.
I think this has improved significantly from each step to the next.
However, I am not exactly happy with the 2 different treatment of the type that "laces up the corset." Any Suggestions?





























This is the second version of my Victorian era poster.
I pretty much started over from square one.
I tried to create hierarchy with having the corset be the largest object and the main tag lines "corset too tight" and "walk the oregon" trail to be subdominant.
I also wanted these words to feel like they were metaphorically a body cinched in too tight to a corset.
I kept to a realistic color palette of the day, and used the filigree around the boarder to whisper "victorian decoration."
I had problems placing the informative text, and thought it would be cool if I could somehow incorporate it on the actual corset. I thought about making the information be the lace that actually cinches up the corset, but it sounded like too much work.
I decided to place the text as the shading and line in the corset.
During the critique, it was pointed out that the informative text was too small, and I needed it to be subordinate, not subliminal. They also suggested that the boarder was awkwardly placed and needed to be reconsidered.
It was also stated that the coloring of my wording needed to stand out a bit more, possibly more flesh colored.






























This was my original idea for the victorian poster.
I wanted to do something different.
I decided weight loss programs are unpredictable, typically a rip off, but can be adventurous, which is similar to walking the Oregon trail.
I tried to think of headliners that would call attention to people looking to lose weight.
Given the Victorian era context, I thought that everyone wore corsets to help slim them down.
I have heard that these are extremely uncomfortable to wear, so dropping some weight might make wearing them a little more comfortable.
My next thought, which was probably my mistake for this first concept, in that it made it too complicated, was to come up with a company to promote this weight loss program. I thought that a pharmaceutical company selling sugar pills would be a funny, ironic solution. I didn't think about it not fitting the problem, and it complicated matters.
The image has a barbie doll pushing a handcart. I think I was pushing the unrealistic and trying to make it funny, not really caring if it would help in the solution to the problem.
I was ornery the day that we did individual critiques, and didn't appreciate not being able to work on this project on my own terms.
However, I did come to the realization that this project has nothing to do with my personal tastes of comedy.
I also realized that I wasn't supposed to make it look like it was created in the Victorian era, but I was supposed to have a concept with the audience in mind.
During my critique, it was suggested that I take the corset concept and push it.
I also needed to give up the drug company idea, because it isn't wise to "serve 2 masters" on a project.


p.s. I accidently saved over this project brief. oops.




No comments:

Post a Comment